Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Perks of Pregnancy


Up until now, I have done a lot of complaining about how RUDE people can be when you're pregnant. But this post is all about how SWEET people can be:


This was by and large, NOT my experience on the subway.

--Think New Yorkers are rude? Think again. People on the subway in New York offered me their seat.  This happened several times on my trip.



--Once on our trip, Megan wanted to buy Saturday matinee Broadway tickets for herself and her brother. When we got to the TKTS booth, there was a big winding line. We got in the back of the line, when suddenly, one of the security officers noticed I was pregnant. He said they didn't allow pregnant women to wait in the line, so he immediately ushered us to the front of the line. It cut down our wait time from about 40 minutes, to only 10 minutes!! I was happy I could help, even though I wasn't the one purchasing the tickets.

--My 3-year-old nephew "Tank" looked at me one day and said, "Aunt Keri, why is your belly so big?" "I have a baby in there," I told him. "Oh," he said, and went about his business.


I think this tickled me so much because he was there when we made the announcement to the whole family in December. And my belly had been protruding for at least 3 months. But he was just NOW noticing, and once I gave him the explanation, acted like it was no big deal. Now granted, an adult NEVER would have been able to get away with this. But coming from a child, it was adorable.

--Just the other day, I was at work walking down the hall. Coming the other direction was a family consisting of a mom, her daughters aged around 8, and 6, and their adopted brother from Africa, aged 3 or 4. Suddenly, the little boy seemed to be magnetically attracted to my belly. He was captivated by it, so much so, that he stopped walking, and put two little hands on either side of my belly. Then he says, "There's a baby in there," and plants a kiss on my belly. It was the funniest, most adorable thing I have ever seen. I didn't even know this little boy!! Again, no adult stranger could have gotten away with this, but coming from a child, it was downright precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment