Monday, June 6, 2011

Pride 2011

I have been wanting to attend the Gay Pride Festival for a long time, but I don't usually know when it is until it has already happened. This year a friend from high school, Justin Utley, was one of the headliners, so I made a point to go. I still didn't make it to the parade, but maybe next year.


I convinced Mr. Wright and Spitfire to come with me. I knew it would be a hard sell for Mr. Wright. But I told him it would be like the Arts Festival only more flambouyant. I think my argument hurt my cause rather than helped it, but he agreed that since Sunday is our family day, we should all go.

I convinced Spitfire that she should wear a pink tutu, and I think she was nervous about looking weird at first. But once we got there and she saw several other people wearing tutus she relaxed. Coincidentally, she was also wearing her purple Justin Bieber t-shirt. She was surprised when a gay guy came up to her and said, "I LOVE your shiiiirrrrttt!"

We showed up around 3:40 to hear Justin play at 4:00, but when we got there we noticed that he had played at 2:00, so I completely missed him. I had checked the schedule of events on Saturday, and somehow in my memory, I thought he was playing at 4:00. Bummer!

We stuck around for Expose`. I knew they were a band from the 80's and 90's, but I couldn't remember what their famous songs were. After sitting in direct sunlight for two to three of their songs, we decided to move on. I still didn't recognize anything they played, and I wasn't very impressed by their costumes, stage presence, or vocals. Even Mr. Wright said, "I thought maybe you could pick up a few pointers for your band by watching them, but you're already better than they are."


Expose`
Spitfire was excited to get feather extensions put in her hair.


Overall we had a good time as a family. I hope we can make it to the Parade next year. And I was very proud of my husband for stepping out of his comfort zone.


1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to go to Pride. Hit me up next year, I'll come with you!

    And way to go for leaving your comfort zone Mr. Wright! I hope he had a good time.

    ReplyDelete