Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Chore Jar--Reward Jar

Recently, Spitfire has been acting so entitled, and so disrespectful, blatantly telling me no, and talking back. Though, this is not really a new thing, it's gotten progressively worse. I realized I was failing as her mother, and that it could not continue. We were having screaming matches several times a day, and all that accomplished was making her upset, and me angry. Spankings (don't judge me), time-outs, and taking her phone away wasn't working either.

Source: http://counselingatheritage.wordpress.com/
She would also waste all afternoon watching t.v., so we would spend all evening doing her homework. Then, she would be too tired to read, or would fall asleep reading. She is responsible for reading a certain amount each month, and hadn't met her monthly reading goal all year.

Then, I came across an idea from my friend Stephanie's blog. Because of a blended family, she and her husband have 6 kids, and she did a blog post about how they handle chores.

Source: http://circusofmine.blogspot.com/

Source: http://circusofmine.blogspot.com/

I liked the ideas she was using, but she has 6 kids to do all the chores, and I only have 1 (of chore-doing age). I wanted to incorporate some of what she did, but felt I needed something to motivate Spitfire too, because I was also having trouble getting her to do her homework and reading.

I knew from working with troubled teenagers, that doing chores helps to teach them discipline, responsibility and respect. When I was growing up, my sisters and I took turns doing the dishes, and we often had to scrub the bathtub. On Saturdays, we couldn't go anywhere until the whole house was clean, and the laundry and yard work done. I would never have dreamed of speaking to my mom the way Spitfire speaks to me. Assigning her chores was clearly the answer.

Now, please don't judge me. I know, as her mother, this shouldn't have been the first time my 11-year-old has been made to do chores. I don't know why I haven't before. Maybe because I HATE cleaning myself. (All the more reason, I should make Spitfire do it, because then I don't have to...hee-hee.)

I really liked the detail that Stephanie put into each chore card, but she only included two rooms in her blog. I did a Yahoo search for "chore cards" and found Organic Families, another mom's blog, where you could print her chore cards for free!

I got a lot of other really good ideas from Organic Families. One thing she does is hold items for ransom left out by her kids in a bin. Then they have to pick a chore from an envelope, and complete the task in order to get the items back.

She also uses a "Polite Plan", which is essentially consequences for things like yelling and disrespecting parents.


Source: http://organicfamilies.blogspot.com/
 I LOVE the idea of consequences and this reminded me of something I saw browsing Pinterest called the Uh-Oh Jar. This comes from another blog, Happiness Is....

Source: http://hilaryishappy.blogspot.com/

Another idea I got from Organic Families is a reward system. She does a point system, and then at the end of the week her kids get to cash in their points.

Source: http://organicfamilies.blogspot.com/
I knew Spitfire would think points were dumb, so I had to come up with something similar that would motivate her. Now it was time to take each of these elements, and make them work best for me and my family.

Spitfire and I talked about this new plan. I explained that there were going to be some new rules, and that it would be a bit of a transition while she learned them, but once she knew what was expected, it wouldn't be as hard. She asked if Sunshine would have to do chores, and I assured her that she would, when she was old enough.

Involving Spitfire in the whole process was key to getting her on board. First we went to the craft store to get some supplies:

Chore Jar/Reward Jar supplies

First we made a Chore Jar. I changed the name from "Uh-Oh" because when you're 11, your mistakes aren't really uh-ohs anymore. I had Spitfire help me come up with some of the chores/consequences. I allowed her to have 3 "Free" squares, meaning if she draws that, she gets out of doing a chore...this time.


Chore Jar chores

She must draw from the Chore Jar whenever she:

  • yells at her parents
  • tells us no
  • doesn't do what she's told
  • argues
  • is disrespectful
  • leaves an item out that I have "confiscated"
  • slams doors
  • doesn't do her daily chore
Next we made the reward jars. She also got to help me come up with the rewards. That way I knew they would be something she could get excited about.

There are small, medium, and large reward jars. The small jar has simple, inexpensive items that we will try to reward her with the same day, when possible. To earn a medium reward, she must work a little harder, but the rewards are bigger. These things she will probably have to wait until the weekend. The big reward jar has really big ticket items. She may have to wait until a pay period for those.

The rewards inside her small jar are:


Small reward jar

To draw from this jar she must complete her homework, her daily reading, and her daily chore before I get home from work, for 3 days in a row. NO t.v. or playing with friends are allowed until they are done.

To draw from the medium reward jar, she must do the same, every day for two weeks. The rewards inside the medium reward jar are:


Medium reward jar
Then, to draw from the large reward jar, she must complete her homework, get her daily reading done, and do her daily chore, before I get home from work, every day for a month.  The rewards inside the large reward jar are:

Large reward jar
Here are the finished jars:


Finished Chore jar/Reward jars

I use the white board to post her daily chore, any rewards earned, and to help her keep track of how many days she has completed each task.

White board for daily chore assignment

Here are the daily chore cards:

Chore cards
Sometimes I assign her a daily chore that is not on the cards, like bathe the dog, or take a shower, or wash the towels on the laundry room floor.

At the end of each day, I gather up anything Spitfire has left out, and put it into a bag. She cannot have these confiscated items unless she does a chore from the chore jar. Now she puts her things away at the end of the night.

I'm sure a much craftier Pinterest mom could make jars a lot cuter, but I wanted to implement this a.s.a.p., so I didn't spend too much time making it looked finished.

As I expected, the first couple of days were rough. I believe Spitfire earned herself 5 chores from the chore jar for talking back, yelling at me, throwing a fit, telling me no, refusing to do her chore, etc. You would have thought it was the end of the world! I heard, "It's not fair!" and "I want to go live with Grams!" (She doesn't seem to realize, that I lived with Grams--my mom for 18 years, and was expected to do chores ALL THE TIME!)

The second day was better. She only had to draw 3 chore jar chores. By the third day, she drew one chore. Now there are several days when she doesn't draw from the chore jar at all! It is like I am living with a completely different child!

Source: http://best-of-web.com/pages/101122-148277-992042.html


I come home, and her daily chore is done, her homework is done, and her reading is done. She is pleasant to be around. There is a lot less screaming and yelling, and she is helpful.

Don't get me wrong, she wouldn't be my little Spitfire if she didn't occasionally revert back to spitting fire. We had a few days where she decided to be defiant. She decided she would not do her daily chore. She screamed and yelled, threw a fit, told me no, slammed cupboards and doors, stomped her feet, and threw herself on her bed. She earned 11 additional chores from the chore jar, in addition to her daily chore. 

Source: http://looneytunes.wikia.com/wiki/Katie_Ka-Boom
If you don't understand this reference, YouTube Katie Kaboom

She screamed that she was the only one who ever did any chores, and that her dad and I don't do anything. I explained that we both work to make money for her food, and clothes, and toys. Dad does dishes, the yard, the garbage, laundry, the cooking and takes care of Sunshine. I do cooking, feed the dog, laundry, keep the house picked up, and take care of Sunshine. We all have chores.

I will admit that I lost my cool that day, and went back to my old screaming habits. Nothing was working. She simply refused to do her chores. I had to get creative. I took her phone away, but she didn't care. I finally had to erase a weeks worth of tick marks she was saving up for the two week reward jar.

I told her she had 30 minutes to pout on her bed and feel sorry for herself. I set her alarm clock and told her that while she was there, she could think about how much extra work she just made for herself. She could have only had ONE daily chore, but instead she threw a fit, and earned herself a daily chore AND 11 more chores from the chore jar. I told her when her alarm clock rang, I expected her to get up, come downstairs and get to work.

When her alarm went off, she actually came downstairs and got to work. I could tell she was still very angry with me and I wanted to lighten the mood, so I got creative again. I told her part of her punishment was to hug me for 5 minutes. She said no, so I increased it to 10 minutes. She still refused. I kept increasing it until she was up to 20 minutes. You can't stay mad when you're hugging someone, right? And it was a punishment, because she didn't want to do it. She wanted to hold onto her anger for me.

Source: http://busemd.edublogs.org/2011/04/04/a-hug-a-day-will-keep-the-doctor-away/
Overall, I would say that these new set of rules and chores are working. This plan works more days than it doesn't. I just have to stick with it! Maybe it will work for you too!

10 comments:

  1. My parents had a bit of a reward system when I was growing up. We earned "beads" for doing our chores, which we could save up and trade in for rewards. I earned a pretty expensive board game for saving my beads for a while. It's a pretty good system, I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have probably worked better for Spitfire if I would have started when she was younger. There is no WAY I would get her to do chores for beads now. LOL.

      Delete
  2. This is AWESOME!!!! Great job being a mommy!
    We had a chore chart where we got a quarter or something for every chore we did. Then that was our allowance every two weeks. The thing is - I was the proactive child doing every single thing and my siblings never did anything...maybe cause they knew I would...who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Larissa. That doesn't surprise me, you over-achiever, perfectionist, you. ;)

      Delete
  3. This is an awesome idea! Growing up we had daily chores we were responsible for. But if we wanted anything extra there was a whole list of things we could do around the house and yard to earn it. I like this one better of the extra chores for punishments. I will definitely have to keep this in mind for when Elliot is old enough! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even small children can be taught consequences and rewards. There are even chores little ones can be taught to do. I plan on implementing this with Sunshine as soon as she's old enough too.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this Keri! It's working for me and my house is a bit cleaner. :) I haven't done the reward jar still. The kids keep asking me about it...whoops. Anyway we have also done a reward/consequence system with nickels in the past. Where they get a nickel in their jar for doing things they should and a nickel taken out when they make a bad choice. Whomever had the most nickels at the end got an extra monetary award and everyone got to keep whatever nickels they did earn. It worked great, but I needed something new. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the Chore Jar is working for you! I LOVE having a clean house, especially when I'm not the one cleaning it...ha, ha. ;)

      Spitfire is a bit too old for nickels. Sometimes, she won't even do a chore for a dollar, that's why the rewards work better for us. She's expensive, lol.

      Delete
  5. It's tough isn't it :) but you're doing so good sticking to your guns! I didn't think anyone wanted to see all my cards because they were so specific to our house, so I'm glad you found some that work for you! We've started "clean room dollars", I'll have to share about that soon, it's turned out to be a great success with the bedrooms.
    Well done lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great tips Steph! I LOVE reading your blog! You're such a great example! I aspire to be more like you!

      Delete