Friday, October 21, 2011

Being beautiful does not make me a bad mother!

A girl from highschool who is a "Facebook friend" recently posted this on her wall:

For all the unselfish moms out there who traded eyeliner for dark circles, Salon haircuts for ponytails, Long showers for quick showers, Late nights for early mornings, Designer bags for diaper bags, and wouldn't change a thing."Lets see how many moms re-post this. Moms who don't care ...about whatever they gave up, and instead LOVE what they get in return. Re-post this if you LOVE your kids...


It made me SO pissed off!!!

I resent the implication that I can't possibly be a good mother unless I'm ugly.

Putting makeup on does not make me a selfish mother! Getting my hair done and taking pride in my appearance makes me feel better about myself, and therefore I am a better mother. I don't believe mothers should sacrifice their own well-being and happiness for their children. If that means that they occasionally have a late night out, or splurge on a designer bag, then good for them! I don't think you have to trade fashion for frumpiness just because you are a mom! I don't believe you should have to sacrifice your own goals and dreams just because you have kids, or really give up anything.



Rosie the Riveter...........the original Super Woman


Now does that mean I don't have dark circles along with my eyeliner? Does that mean I don't throw my salon haircut into a ponytail? NO!

I still can wear fashionable, well-fitting, and in-style clothing, even if it occasionally gets baby barf on it. I also occasionally do without putting makeup on, or taking a shower in favor of sleep, or cuddling with my baby. But having kids is no excuse for letting yourself go!


Mirror, mirror, on the wall..........who's the the sexiest Mommy of all?

Needless to say, I did NOT re-post it, but that DOESN'T mean I don't love my kids!

2 comments:

  1. Lack of personal hygiene doesn't necessarily indicate selflessness. Woman could just be slovenly.

    Pretty much all of those "Re-post this if you hate infanticide" things bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri-- you can have it all! if anyone is capable of that, you are! good for you.

    ReplyDelete