Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Drowsy Chaperone at Centerpoint Legacy Theatre

My friend Dennis is currently in The Drowsy Chaperone, at Centerpoint Legacy Theatre. My friend, Jeanette and I attended on a Monday night (there were two casts, MWF, and THS). I had never seen this musical before, and was completely unfamiliar with the storyline, but I was familiar with the song, "Show Off," having sung it in voice lessons.

We had front row seats! We almost got spit on!
The set design was amazing. It looked just like an apartment. I loved the way the vintage Frigidaire, and cupboards opened up to allow actors through them onstage. I enjoyed the Murphy Bed, which when pulled down from the wall, revealed an actor lying on the bed. I liked the simplicity of a full-length frame dropped from the ceiling as a mirror, especially when the chorus danced through the mirror, onto the stage. I was impressed with the giant prop plane that descended onto the stage.

I had no idea that the story was told from the point of view of a man, listening to a record of the show. The Man in the Chair was charming in his ambiguously gay effeminism. I was tickled by his peanut gallery commentary throughout. I giggled every time the actors conveyed the record skipping, or the power going out, or being replayed by the Man in the Chair.

The costumes were to DIE for! Every detail was paid to the time period, and the character. I particularly enjoyed the costumes of Janet, the Drowsy Chaperone, and Trix the Aviatrix.

The character of Aldolpho was ridiculously silly, but I couldn't help giggling at his antics throughout the show. I LOVED the Chaperone's little twitter at things.

The actress who played Janet, Michelle Hunt Robbins, was utterly adorable and had the most effortless, clear voice. Kate Rufener was spectacular as the Drowsy Chaperone.

It was completely silly how everyone got married to each other in the end, but it was enjoyable, because that seems to happen a lot in musicals. Everyone must be paired off, and the story wrapped up in a nice little bow.

Dennis did a fantastic job! Actually, every one in the cast did. I was so impressed by the quality of this production. Look out, "Crazy for You", I think I have a new favorite musical!

Well done, Dennis!
"Drowsy Chaperone" plays until March 31st. Get your tickets by calling 801.298.1302.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind that I shared this with Kate Rufener -- she's one of my best friends :) I'm seeing the show again on Friday and I can't wait! So glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri, thanks so much for the kind review. Really made my whole year!!

    ReplyDelete