Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Put one foot in front of the other

You may remember from a previous post, that I had begun training for a half marathon, when something happened that put a stop to my training.  Indeed, I haven't been on the treadmill, or done any kind of exercise since December!

I had already registered last fall, (before getting hurt), to enter the Salt Lake City Half Marathon (13.1 miles) in April. I wasn't planning on doing it at all, since I hadn't trained for it. But then my friend convinced me that since I had spent the money on it, I might as well walk it. I KNEW I could walk it, since I had done at least that, (and maybe more), 6 months pregnant.

I am always a little nervous the night before a half marathon, and frankly, this time was no exception. Doubt swirled in my head. Was I making a HUGE mistake? Maybe the medics would have to pick me up on the side of the road. Maybe it would take me longer than the 3 hour allotted finish time to walk it. I decided that I would at least try to run part of it. Maybe do a run-walk combo.

The morning of the half marathon, I did not feel ready. My Nike+ wasn't working, so I wouldn't be able to gauge my running pace. My iPod, though left on the charger all night, was completely out of battery. Aahh! I would have to forge a distance of 13.1 miles WITHOUT any music to pump me up?!? I did some stretches, and jogged a bit to warm up, but it felt half-hearted. I knew that no amount of stretching or warming up was going to ready me for a race that I hadn't trained for.

You can see the apprehension in my face
My thoughts were decidedly negative, but I didn't want my doubts to be a self-fulfilling prophecy and sabotage my efforts. I had no idea how fast a pace I could even maintain, but I saw a pacing leader holding a sign for a 12:35 pace, so I decided to join her. There have never been pacers at the Salt Lake Half Marathon before, but I was really glad they were there this year.

See, a race is more than just putting one foot in front of the other. There's a science to running, that I have never quite wrapped my head around. I have no idea how to make sure that I am running the same pace, or if my splits are equal. I have no idea how to do track repeats, or fartleks, so even though this was my fourth half marathon, I'm still pretty much a beginner. I've known friends who have gotten faster and faster each year. I have no idea how they do it.

The race started, and I stuck right by the pacer. I found I didn't need my iPod, as I engaged in conversations with the other runners in the pace group. Running with the pacer took all the guess work out of running. I decided that I would run with the pacer, as long as I felt good, and fall back to a run-walk combo only if I needed to. I found that I felt great at mile 1, despite seeing other runners who were already walking. At mile 3, I saw some runners huffing and puffing, and sweating profusely, but I was not even winded.

I kept on going, right alongside my pacer. I drank when she drank, I chewed Shot Bloks when she did. I usually start to feel a bit fatigued around mile 6, but this time, I still felt strong. I knew from previous years that the last 3 miles are the most difficult, especially because they are uphill. My pacer had plans for that. She kept us a little faster on the downhills or flat stretches. By the time we got to the big hill at the foot of State Street, we were 3 minutes ahead of schedule.

In previous years the hill just about does me in, and I end up walking it. This time I tried to keep on pace with my pacer. Having someone to run with, and even cheer me on made such a huge difference. I was able to run up the hill, until the last block. Then since I was 3 minutes ahead of schedule, I allowed my self to take a small walking break along South Temple, until about 50 meters from the finish, when I ran across the finish line.

Crossing the finish line is an emotional experience every year. Part of it is that I can't believe I actually made it. Part of it is elation that it is finally over. Part of it is pride in my accomplishment.

My official finish time was 2:43:43, and I am MORE than happy with that. I didn't train for the race, but I just kept telling myself, "You can do this, you've done it before, so you KNOW you can do it." "That's only minor discomfort, you can push past it." "You've got this." I believe our self-talk is a very powerful tool. How you use it is up to you, and can be the difference between success and failure.

3 comments:

  1. You are my hero!! Made me cry to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Keri! So happy you were able to run the whole race! A great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Keri! That is an awesome time, and it's even better that you were able to complete the race fairly comfortably!

    ReplyDelete