Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Channel Z

And now a brief history of how I got my start with Channel Z.  In May of 2008, I answered an add on Craig's List needing a female singer for an 80's cover band. I had to learn "Love Shack", "One Way or Another", "Mickey", "Hit Me With Your Best Shot", and "I Love Rock and Roll," and then go and sing with the band as an audition.

I was excited because I thought this particular band would be a perfect fit, since the other members were middle-aged, family men with careers, and I was a not-quite-middle-aged, family woman with a career. I felt that any other band would be the young twenty-something party crowd, whose career was "starving artist" and they just wouldn't understand that I'm not a heavy drinker, or a drug user, and that I can't stay out until 2 a.m. every night of the week.

Well, I didn't get in the band and I was VERY disappointed. But I decided that since I hadn't sung in a while, I should take some voice lessons to brush up on a few things, and increase my confidence level. Meanwhile, I focused on auditioning for some plays. I was cast in the lead roles in "See How They Run" at the Empress, and "Miracle on 34th Street" for West Jordan.

Lo and behold, I get an email from this band 2 years later, in April 2010. They are holding auditions again, and am I still interested? HELL yeah! I went and auditioned again, and pretty much nailed it! This time, they decided to use TWO female singers instead of one, so I had a second audition with the other female singer they were considering to see how well our voices matched. I was SOOO happy when I learned I got in!

I felt a little intimidated at first, because I knew that this band had had two female singers in the past two years. I wasn't sure what the circumstances were, except that this time, there was only one original member of the band left. It seemed as though the Band Owner just got all new members whenever it suited him. I also felt that the other female singer had more of a "rock and roll" voice, and I felt inadequate with my "bubble gum pop" sound.

I definitely didn't want to be the weakest link, since I wasn't sure of my standing in the band, or for how long it would be. I really felt I had to prove myself, since they didn't pick me the first time I auditioned. I practiced hard on my own, learning the lyrics to the female songs, and the back-up parts to the male songs. Since I wasn't sure which part the other female singer would want to sing, I learned both harmonies.

After 8 months of learning songs and rehearsing, we had our first gig in November of 2010. I made sure to help with the loading and unloading of the gear, and to learn how to set up and break down. I didn't want the band to think I wasn't pulling my own weight. 

I was very nervous because our first gig was at The Filling Station, in the town where I grew up, and I knew I might see some people I knew there. I wasn't sure how well received I would be. At this venue, people come to play pool and chill, so there weren't very many dancers, but the crowd seemed to enjoy us. I DID have a couple of close friends come, but I was relieved that I didn't see anyone else I knew there that time.

At my second gig at The Canyon Inn, a few more friends came. At this particular venue, the people come to DANCE! The dance floor was packed, and people LOVED us. I was running a fever that night, but the show must go on.


I was annoyed that a theatre acquaintance who came to see the show commented that I needed to relax more on-stage and be myself. Excuse me?!? I didn't ask him to come and critique my performance. I didn't say to him, "So what do you think I could improve on?" I wasn't expecting any constructive (or un-constructive) criticism.

I WAS nervous, because it was only my second gig, and there were people I knew there. And I wasn't feeling well, I had a FEVER. Besides, I'm not supposed to be myself when I am on-stage. That's why we wear the wigs and costumes, to help us become a different person. To become a freakin ROCK STAR. Give me a break, dude! Ugh.

We gigged about 2-3 times a month, even travelling to Rock Springs, Wyoming. The more we gigged, the more my confidence grew. I genuinely felt like an equal member of the band.

Then the unexpected happened. I found out I was pregnant. I wasn't sure how the news would be received in the band, because the reason the last singer was replaced was because she had gotten pregnant. Did she leave on her own accord, or was she asked to leave? Would this mean that I would be kicked out of the band? Was my singing career over before it had begun? I kept this secret to myself for 3 months, until I could no longer hide it.

When I finally broke the news, it was with trepidation. I assured the band members that I wasn't going to let this interfere. I pledged that I wanted to continue to perform as close to the baby being born that I could. And that I really wanted to continue once the baby was born. I stated that I was okay performing with a big belly if they were. The news was actually very well received.

Incidentally, I didn't end up being the weakest link in the band. The other female singer didn't know the harmonies very well, and she didn't help load/unload and set up/break down very much. She also missed a lot of rehearsals due to illness, and even missed a gig! I had to fill in by singing her songs, as well as mine! We made a group decision in the band to let her go.

The last few times we played at the Canyon Inn, there have been some familiar faces. Apparently, this group of four friends saw us back in December or January. Since then, they have shown up to both our February and May gigs there. These are not the kind of people who frequent the Canyon Inn every weekend. We don't know these people at all in our personal lives. They were there just to see US!!! This last time in May, one of them said to me, "We come to see YOU, you know." I have my own FAN CLUB! Awesome!!


We just hired a new female singer to replace the one we kicked out. It's my friend Amy who I've done plays with. She impressed us from the get-go, by knowing the songs well, and she didn't have to look at the words. She had the harmonies perfectly. She had a good vocal range, being able to sing both low and high, like I can. She also blended really well with my voice. The guys in the band, said at times they couldn't tell who was singing which part. She did fantastic at her first gig, and had TONS of energy and stage presence!


She's good, I better watch my back.
Again, I find myself hoping that I'm not the weakest link. I'm finding it increasingly hard to make it through our gigs. At our last gig, I could barely breathe enough to sing, since the baby is pushing on my diaphragm. My endurance is also really low. I find I've got enough energy for dancing the first two sets, but the last two sets, I can barely move! The Band Owner commented that I need to watch my facial expressions, because I look like I'd rather be anywhere but there. Yikes!! No Bueno!

Honestly, I would have rather had my last gig be in May, but I'm afraid of coming across like a flake. I don't want it to seem like I'm pulling the same crap as the other female singer. I told the Band Owner that I was getting really tired and winding down, but that I would keep going as long as they needed me to. He wants me to do our June and July gigs, so I'll do my best. I feel frustrated, because I'm a perfectionist. I know what I'm capable of, and I know at 8 months pregnant I'm not able to give my best performance.

I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot by confessing this.

**Please read my addendum to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment