Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Godspell--at Calgary Chapel

Monday night, my friend Michele and I went to see Godspell at the Calgary Chapel. The play was directed by Annie Fields, with musical director Anne Puzey. I had never seen this show before, and only knew it was about Jesus and his Disciples.

The play is set in a circus, which has no ringmaster. When the Ringmaster (Jesus) comes, he teaches them parables, which they act out circus-style. The circus setting gives the show a playful, childlike quality. The show is cute and entertaining, even without knowing the underlying message. The costumes were adorable.


My favorite songs were "Day by Day", "Light of the World", and "By my Side". I LOVED the live band! It made a huge difference in the music, and they were very good! Lindsay Ann Walters, who played the Jezebel character had a very strong singing voice.

I knew 3 people in the cast, and they did not disappoint. Kudos, Sallie, Danny, and especially Heidi! Sallie was so childlike, and fun to watch. Danny has a wonderful depth to his voice. Heidi's voice (as always) has a lovely rich sound.



Heidi, Danny, and Sallie

The final scenes of the play (Judas betraying Jesus, the Last Supper, and the Crucifixion of Jesus) were very intense and emotional. It was especially moving at the end, when Jesus is resurrected and is reunited with his friends again.

I will admit that this style of show is perhaps not my forte`, but I enjoyed watching my friends perform. They did an excellent job!



Michele and Sallie

Oh yeah! Guess who else I saw there? My friend Megan!


Megan, Danny, Keri, Heidi
 There is an excellent, detailed review of their show here.

1 comment:

  1. Curses!! I wanted to see this SO BAD! But alas, if I'm not at rehearsal I'm out of town. Lame.

    ReplyDelete