Friday, December 9, 2011

Lashing out

In September, Mr. Wright's company paid for his team and their spouses to go to the Bikes for Kids charity dinner and silent auction. One of the things I bid on was a gift certificate for a full set of eyelash extensions. I won the bid for $50.00.

Last night I made an appointment with Glam Your Lashes. The Esthetician does the extensions at her home. I was to come without any eye make-up on, with clean, dry lashes. She led me to her basement, where she had a large plush Lazyboy. She asked me to sit down, and recline. I then had to scoot all the way to the top.

First, she placed two patches under my eyes to cover my bottom lashes and keep them from sticking. Next she had me close my eyes, and she turned on two high powered lamps so she could see what she was doing. I was to keep my eyes closed the entire time. She applied some kind of glue/bonding material to my lashes.

Next she explained that she held a pair of tweezers in each hand. One set of tweezers would separate the lashes, while the other set of tweezers would apply the lash extension. She explained that the average eye has 150 lashes!

The appointment took about an hour and a half. I did notice that I dozed a couple of times, but I found that sitting still in the same position for an hour and a half was agonizing!

The lash extensions are made of a synthetic plastic. There is no need to wear mascara as the lashes themselves are already long, dark, and thick. In fact, wearing mascara is discouraged. You should also not get your lashes wet for 24-48 hours afterward to allow the glue to bond.

The lashes fall off naturally when your own eyelash falls out, but because you are constantly growing new and shedding old eyelashes, a touch up, (or fill) is needed every 3 weeks. The better you take care of your lashes, by not getting them wet, not rubbing your eyes, not sleeping on your face, and not wearing mascara, the longer they will last.

I asked how much she usually charges for a full set.....$200! I guess I got a steal at $50.00! There is no WAY I'd be able to keep it up, even though a fill is only $65.00.

Here are the before's and after's.

Side view closed:

Natural lashes, with make-up
With eyelash extentions



Front view:


No make-up

Natural lashes, with make-up

After lash extentions

And the finished product:



It was fun to try once, and I'm sure I'll love not having to apply false eyelashes for my band gigs, but I won't be becoming a regular customer. You can see more of her work, see before's and afters, and read additional information about eyelash extensions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment