Monday, December 5, 2011

Ski Bunny

Saturday my sister Skinny and I went skiing at Canyons Resort.  The temperature was a teeth-chattering 13 degrees!

My mom sold me her boots, skis, and poles 2 years ago, and since then, I have tried to go skiing as often as I can. I only went once last year, because I was pregnant. Skiing while pregnant is typically frowned upon, but I was very careful not to do anything crazy, or fall.

My mom and her siblings have been skiing since they were two. They lived in Idaho and I think their dad worked at a ski resort, so they went all the time. My mom used to go off ski jumps, and my uncles did Jack Knifes and flips off of them.

My uncle, probably showing off for some girl

My sisters and I took ski school lessons when we were kids, but we really only went skiing once every 2 or 3 years. Skiing can be expensive for a single mom with 3 kids who has to rent all the equipment too.

Skinny has to rent her skis, and while we were picking them up, I saw an adorable hat. I nearly choked on the $40.00 price tag, but then I tried it on. It was too cute to pass up, and would keep my head and ears really warm, so I splurged.


The best $40.00 I ever spent.....so warm!

Even though I've been skiing since I was about 8, I mostly stick to the green runs (beginner), with the occasional blue (intermediate). I tend to be a pretty cautious skier. I don't let myself get going down the hill too fast, and I don't usually do stunts. It turns out Canyons is mostly blue and black diamond runs.


After our second run down the green bunny hill, Skinny and I decided to tackle a blue run. It was a little more than I wanted to handle. I was going down the hill faster than I wanted to, so I started to brake. As I did so, my skis stuck to each other, and as I fell, my right knee turned perpendicularly inward. The pain was intense! I first had to move my left ski off my right ski, and then turn my right knee back the other direction.

When I fell, I landed in a sort of ditch/embankment where the snow was not packed down. The more I moved to try to get up, or get my skis off, the more I slid down the hill, and further into the deep snow. I tried using my poles to get myself up, but I have no upper body strength. Then I tried using my poles to eject my skis off my boots, but my skis were at a strange angle, and my body position made getting any leverage difficult. Finally, Skinny was able to get her own skis off, and after much grunting and giggling, we were able to get my skis off, so I could get up.


I felt like a turtle on it's back

Once I was back up I still had to get the rest of the way down the hill on a bum knee! When I reached the bottom, I took a little break, while Skinny did a run by herself. Then we decided to have lunch. After lunch, my knee was feeling much better, so we hit the slopes again, but decided we had better stick to the green runs.



I saw the doctor Monday. Luckily, I didn't tear an ACL, my ligaments are strong, and it's probably not a meniscus tear. He thinks it's just a sprain. I'm supposed to RICE it, (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate), and take Ibuprofen for a few weeks. But he said, no skiing for a while, and no running for a few weeks either.....that puts a kink in my 1/2 marathon training.

No comments:

Post a Comment