Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Nicknames

I was thinking about nicknames the other day, and how they come to be.

My dad's name was Clifford, and a lot of people called him Cliff. However, his most common nickname was Buzz. This was because when he was a little boy, he couldn't say the word "brother." He would run after his older brothers yelling, "Buzzer, Buzzer, wait up!" So from then on, everyone called him Buzz. How cute is that?!

When my nephew Tank was learning to talk, it was sometimes difficult to understand him. Sometimes what he said, sounded like something else. When he tried to call Mr. Wright "Uncle Roger", what it sounded like he was saying was "Under Water." To this day, even though he talks well, he still will call him "Uncle Roger Under Water." He knows it's funny.

My grandmother's middle name is Wilma. You know how Bill is a nickname for William? Well, every cousin, aunt, and uncle I've ever met on that side of the family calls my grandma "Aunt Bill." I have no idea why, as she has never gone by her middle name.

Do YOU have an unusual nickname?

1 comment:

  1. You already know my nickname! But another one: Boo Boo, stems from the character from the Yogi Bear cartoons, because I was the little bear following my Big (Bear) brother around. Yes, his nickname was Big Bear, but also "Squeaker" because he had a very squeaky little voice when he was little. Nicknames are so fun!

    ReplyDelete