Thursday, March 22, 2012

Old MySpace Blog post: Facing My Mortality


Facing my mortality


Current mood:angry
I'm turning 30!  I know, can you believe it? 30!!  And I don't feel that old, and in many ways I look better now than I have for most of my 20's. It's just that a lot of my friends are in their early 20s, and to them 30 seems ancient.
But I just found out that my best friend from Kindergarten has Breast Cancer, and doctors say she only has a few weeks left to live.  I really haven't been friends with her for a while, but that is besides the point.  She has two small children under eight, and she's only 29 or 30 years old!
I used to think that Breast Cancer was only something that happened to people after menopause, but I also lost my 32 year old cousin to Breast Cancer in 2005, and it really pisses me off.  Because it's just not fair, that it should claim the lives of YOUNG women, who have their whole lives ahead of them!! 
I used to think that I didn't have to worry much about dying young, that it wouldn't happen for a while yet, and that death was for the old. It's not enough to be young and healthy anymore, because if this could happen to two young women I know then that means that NONE of us are safe!!!
And I am terrified of getting Breast Cancer myself at a young age (it runs in my family), and having my life cut short before I've done everything I wanted to do. I'm so angry that it could take someone so young!!!

1 comment:

  1. It's great that you wrote your emotions down! I wish I had done that more in my past . You are a great example of someone courageously living their to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete