Friday, June 8, 2012

Pride 2012, Hiking Donut Falls, Mom's Birthday

Last year, as you may remember, I attended the Pride Festival. I have always wanted to go to the parade. This year, I not only knew when it was, but what time it started.

I couldn't convince Mr. Wright to come with us this year. I was a little disappointed, but Spitfire and Sunshine came with me. We got there just as the first entry rounded the corner of 200 South. This year was kind of a big deal, because there was a large group of Mormons who marched in the parade. They were not marching in protest, but as a peace offering. They called themselves Mormons Building Bridges. I was a little unsure how well this group would be received, but when the parade spectators saw them, they began cheering and applauding. It was REALLY cool!

Mormons Building Bridges at the Gay Pride Parade 2012
I saw my friend Michele and her son marching with them! I wonder if anyone from this group is going to get a call from their bishop...let me know Michele. ;)

Some other entries I liked:






Salt City Roller Derby Girls...I SO want to go to one of their matches!


Planned Parenthood...you better BELIEVE I'm a supporter!

Orgazmo and Choda Boy
You'll only understand the reference if you've actually seen the movie,
Orgazmo

The parade was SOOO much fun! We'll have to make it a tradition. We only stayed for an hour, because my kids were starting to melt in the hot HOT sun. Spitfire and I had a nice conversation on the way home from the parade. She said that she really likes gay people. I'm proud of her for growing up tolerant and loving.



After the parade, we went back to Big Cottonwood Canyon (again), to hike Donut Falls with Mr. Wright. It was a lot harder to hike when the sun was beating down on us! Spitfire, wanted to climb higher up the waterfall than we had with my mom and all the kids.

You can see the "donut" part at the top of the picture.
The water goes through a hole in the rock.




After the hike, we celebrated my mom's 60th birthday! She is such a great mom, and a fantastic grandma!




Happy Birthday, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment